International Curator Competition for the Estonian exhibition at the 2016 La Biennale di Venezia Architecture Exhibition
Estonian Centre of Architecture is looking for a project to represent Estonia at the 16th international architecture biennial in Venice. The first stage of the two-stage public international curator competition will close on the 31st of May, 2017 at 12 noon (GMT+2), with 5 proposals moving onto the second stage, where all 5 proposals are to be presented publicly on the 15th June 2017 in Tallinn. The winner of the competition will be announced on the 19th of June 2017.
The proposals for the Estonian exposition should reflect both current global issues and important aspects of the ideas and practice of contemporary Estonian architecture, focussing on what makes architecture a relevant practice at present. International teams entering the competition are expected to include persons competent in and familiar with Estonian architecture. Entries can be either in Estonian or English, the competition is open for proposals by art theorists, architects, designers, interior designers, historians and curators of other professions related to the field of architecture.
More infoEve Arpo
+372 56 460 564
1. Looking at Terms & Conditions of the Competition I would like to ask if it would be possible to specify given information regarding few submission requirements. In the segment 3 (Format of the Competition) it is stated that the first stage should include text information as well as visualisation of the exposition, but later on in the segment 13.1, where it is defined that entries must be submitted by e-mail, there is no any specific information about the submission of the visual material.
Would You be so kind to specify, if and what kind of restrictions are applied for the visual material of the concept and if all that has to be submitted via e-mail (no snail mail submissions?), is it here to understand that the visual material for the first stage of competition is the same as for the second?
A: Visual material can be submitted through wetransfer link:
Specific restrictions to the visual material: competition entries should not exceed 2GB. Please present your idea and send visual material that supports your idea - visualised design of the exposition.
The Jury selects best five entries and invites the authors to participate in the second stage where we expect you to present your updated design idea on the basis of jury comments and questions.
2. The call seems to ask for visual of the exhibition - as there is no drawing of where the exhibition will be I assume this will be reference images - or can you explain better?
A: We are asking for a visualised design of the exposition which could be presented by reference images. We are open for your proposal for the location of the Estonian Exhibition at the 16th Architecture Exhibition La Biennale di Venezia.
3. Could you please confirm the submission requirements for Stage I of the competition for the Estonia exhibit for the Venice Biennale? Am I correct in understanding that it is only text, maximum 5000 words, and no images?
A: In the first stage, the entrants are asked to present the description of the conceptual design of the exhibition (up to 5,000 characters without spaces) and the visualised design of the exposition.
4. If we use some images in the document and we want to add credits in case later the images get public shall we send the credits to you?
A: Please send credits in a separate file.
5. As stated in the brief, participants are asked to fill a document: "the letter of confirmation digitally signed by the author(s) or their authorised representative stating that the author(s) assume the responsibility for bringing the Estonian exhibition at the 16th International Architecture Exhibition to fruition, for drawing up and completing the information materials accompanying the exhibition and the preparation of the materials to be published in the general catalogue of the Biennale, adhering to the time schedule prescribed for completing the work and to the given budget (Form 1)”.
6. The submission requires a so called CODE WORD, could you clarify what you mean by this?
A: The code word is an anonymous identifier for an entry.